Some of you may still have plans coming up for a summer vacation. While relaxing and enjoying sights and new food are all wonderful, don’t forget to fit fitness into that vacation. One reason is to keep the habit of fitting fitness into your day. Don’t use vacation as an excuse to take a break. Exercising while on vacation whether in a hotel gym, hotel room, or outside at a nearby park, trail, or path will give you extra energy to go see and do all that you planned on. It will help keep you healthy while on the road. Also, if you have trouble in the bathroom department while traveling as many do, it will keep things, um, moving. Enough said.
Being in the midst of training for my first ever triathlon and having a two week vacation coming up, I’ve already thought ahead to how I can continue to fit fitness into this vacation. Here are some things I’ve thought of:
1. If you cycle, take your bike with you. Of course, this is easier done driving than flying. I will be driving, so attaching the bike rack will be an easy thing to do.
2. Does you cycling trainer fit in your car? Take that with you if you are unsure of the area and won’t have time to figure out where to cycle.
3. Plan ahead. Schedule out your workouts and get up early to accomplish them, assuming you get to bed at a decent hour. Either way, planning ahead just as you do for the rest of your vacation will greatly help you stay on track with your fitness goals.
4. Swimmers: find a community center, high school, or local gym you can attend to get those laps in. Maybe there is even a lake or ocean you can use for open water experience. Lots of options here, don’t let vacation deter you.
5. If you are a gym rat and don’t have a national gym membership, if offered by your gym, find a gym in the area you will be staying and sign up for a free pass. Most gyms offer these. It is free, (other than the sales call you will inevitably get) it is hassle free, and you can feel at home in the gym.
6. Pick a hotel with a gym. If you will be staying in a hotel, you can choose to stay in one with a gym. While many have meager offerings, they will have the basics to give you a good workout.
7. Stay at a hotel near a running, walking, cycling path. If you are going to a touristy area, this might be easier. That way you can wake up and take a walk, jog, run, bike ride and get you blood flowing while enjoying the scenery you went to see anyway.
8. Plan for a hike. Will you be staying in an area where hiking is within a reasonable distance? Plan that as an activity for part or all of one of your vacation days. Taking a detour off the beaten path is refreshing and energizing.
9. Some areas have bike rentals or surrey rentals. This can be fun for the whole family. We rented a surrey once while staying in Newport Coast, CA and we had the best time. We laughed and talked and got some exercise.
10. Take you workout clothes with you. No matter what, take your workout clothes with you and when you open your suitcase you will see them. Hopefully the desire to use them just because you brought them will grow. Bring clothes you feel good in and will want to wear, that always helps.
Did I miss any tips? Do you have any to share? Let me know in the comments. Hope you all have happy and safe travels this summer.